Lisa Vanatta CV
Board Certified Specialist in Pediatric Nutrition, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
University of Chicago, 1991
M.S., Human Nutrition/Nutritional Biology
Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 1986-1987
University of Utah, 1986
B.A., Foods and Nutrition
Magna Cum Laude
Ketogenic Work Experience
Phoenix Children’s Hospital, 1991 - present
Ketogenic Program Coordinator since 2016, previously Ketogenic Dietitian/Neonatal Nutritionist and Pediatric Dietitian
Research and Publications
- "Ketogenic Therapy: A review of outpatient initiation, staffing and revenue." Wheeler C and Vanatta L. Abstract. AES Meetings, 2020.
- "Combination of chelation therapy and low-manganese diet in a patient with SLC39A14-associated hypermanganesemia and dystonia." Heim J, Lewis S, Vanatta L, Zhao N, Kruer M. Abstract. International Symposium on Genetic Syndromes with Movement Disorders and Epilepsy, 2020.
- Ketogenic Diet Therapies for Neurological Disorders Pocket Guide, 2nd Edition. Vanatta L, Hornbuckle MJ, Zupec-Kania B. The Charlie Foundation for Ketogenic Therapies, 2019.
- "Phoenix Children’s Hospital experience with implementation of safety features for ketogenic diet patients utilizing electronic health record." Jarrar R, Fox J, Vanatta L, Vaidya M. Abstract. AES Meetings, 2018.
- "Safety and efficacy of outpatient initiation of classical ketogenic diet therapy in infants." Wheeler C, Vanatta L, Wilfong A, Jarrar R. Abstract. AES Meetings, 2018.
- "Use of Smoflipid for ketogenic parenteral nutrition reduces risk of PNALD in a patient with PDHD." Vanatta L, Schroeder S, Aleck K, Wilfong A. Abstract. International Conference on Ketogenic Therapies for Neurological Disorders, 2018.
- "Ketogenic Diet Treatment for Pediatric Super-Refractory Status Epilepticus." Appavu B, Vanatta L, Condie J, Kerrigan JF. Seizures Jul21;41:62-65, 2016.
- A Guide to Making Blended Formula for Ketogenic Therapy Blender Keto. Contributing author/Reviewer. Charlie Foundation, 2016.
- Modified Ketogenic Diet Therapy 1:1 and 2:1 Prescriptions. Contributing author/Reviewer. Charlie Foundation, 2013.
- "Elevated triglycerides in patient treated with pancreatic enzyme therapy." Vanatta L, Zupec-Kania B, Olson M, Buchhalter J. Abstract. International Ketogenic Diet and Neurological Disorders Meeting, 2012.
- Guidelines for Neonatal Nutrition Care at Phoenix Children’s Hospital ©, Vanatta L, 2001.
- Pediatric Manual of Clinical Dietetics. Contributing author. PNPG, ADA, 1997.
- "Errors in estimating peritoneal fluid by bioelectrical impedance analysis and total body electrical conductivity." Rallison L, Kushner RF, Penn D, Schoeller DA. J Am College Nutr 12(1):66, 1993.
- "Screening for diabetes mellitus in CF." Robinson C, Rallison L, Hernried L. Abstract. Pediatric Pulmonology Suppl 8, 1992.
- "An easy and accurate method of estimating newborn birth weight for resuscitation." Chan GM, Moyer-Mileur L, Rallison L. Am J Perinatology 9(5/6):371, 1992.
Ketogenic Diet Presentations
- "Nutrition Supplementation for Ketogenic Therapies Update." Summit on Ketogenic Diet Therapies, Phoenix Arizona, 2017.
- "Ketogenic Diet Therapy: The 'Skinny' on High Fat Diets for Neurological Disorders." Grand Rounds, Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, 2018.
- "Keto in Critical Care." Summit on Ketogenic Diet Therapies, Phoenix Arizona 2019.
- "Initiating Ketogenic Diet Therapy in an Outpatinet Model: Infancy to Adolescence." Summit on Ketogenic Diet Therapies, Phoenix Arizona, 2019.
- "Indications for and Variations of Ketogenic Diet Therapy for Seizures and Epilepsy Syndromes." Grand Rounds, Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, 2019.
- "Ketogenic Diet: Favorite Tips, Tweaks and Transitions." Keto Hope Foundation, 2020.
- "Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy." Arizona State University, Intern Program, 2017 – Present.